Mineralized & Eggless Alaskan Sourdough Hotcakes
A twist on a recipe from Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods by Sandor Zatz. Makes about 18-20 pancakes. *Mix batter the 8-12 hours before (overnight) for breakfast pancakes.
- 1 cup apple yeast/sourdough starter
- 2 cups lukewarm water (activates yeast)
- 2½ cups whole flour; spelt flour, kamut, whole wheat pastry or combo
- 2 TBS sucanat or coconut sugar
- 2 TBS ghee (optional)
- 1 TBS Terramin -Multimineral Clay Supplement (silk)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, mix the starter, water, flour, Terramin clay & sugar. Stir until smooth.
- Cover and let ferment 8-12 hours (overnight). **Don’t forget to replenish your sourdough starter.
- Add the Ghee and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Mix the baking soda with 1 tbsp of warm water, fold it gently into the mixture.
- Heat pan/griddle and grease with plenty of ghee.
- Ladle batter into pan and cook until many bubbles have formed. Flip pancake and cook until medium brown.
Serve warm & garnish with homemade syrup.